For the safety and comfort of our riders, ECU Transit has developed rules for all to follow. Many of these policies are derived from or are designed to complement other regulations at the university, local, state, and federal levels.
General Policies & Guidelines
ECU Transit operates a variety of vehicle types on both regular route service, chartered trips, and point-to-point van service. These policies and guidelines are always in effect regardless of service type offered.
Rules of the road:
- Aisles and doorways must remain clear. Please remove any items which may impede the flow of passengers.
- Food and beverages are allowed in closed, spill-proof containers only. Beverages may be consumed on board when using a sturdy, re-closable container which prevents spills.
- Please do not speak to or otherwise distract the operator while the vehicle is in motion. If you must speak with the operator, please wait until the vehicle has come to a complete stop.
- Please keep your feet off the seats. Although vehicles are cleaned frequently, please be respectful of others who use seats around you.
The following are strictly prohibited:
- Smoking or vaping on board any ECU Transit vehicle.
- Open or closed containers of alcohol. A single exception for closed containers only exists for riders 21 or older using routes specifically designated for traveling to off-campus shopping locations (e.g., route 307 Walmart).
- Weapons of any nature.
- Fighting, horseplay, or any other activity which is disruptive or threatens the safety of others.
- Hanging or flipping from grab straps or bars.
- Unauthorized entry into or use of equipment in the operator’s area.
ECU Student Code of Conduct
ECU Transit vehicles operate as an extension of campus; thus students of East Carolina University are subject to the Student Code of Conduct at all times while using the system. Please see the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities for more information.
Most ECU Transit vehicles are equipped with audio/video surveillance equipment. This equipment remains on at all times while the vehicle is running. Vehicles equipped with surveillance equipment include signs or decals posted in various locations on the interior of the vehicle to advise riders of the presence of such equipment. Access to recordings made by this equipment is limited to ECU Transit’s full time, non-student staff and may be used for the following purposes:
- Incident or accident investigation
- Random checks to ensure staff compliance with laws, policies, procedures, and other regulations
Occasionally, such recordings may be disclosed to law enforcement agencies to be used as evidence in their investigations. No other disclosures are permitted.
Lost & Found
Items turned in from our vehicles are kept up to 10 days. If you believe you left an item on board an ECU Transit vehicle, please contact our office as soon as possible so the telecommunicator may assist you. Items found on board are frequently turned over to the ECU Police Department.